Welcome to our 30th meta report! The “nerf” to King of Beggars didn’t change much and SY continues to reign supreme. While Assimilate and Battle Trance are in a good spot, Guerilla Tactics took a huge hit with the nerf to Milva: Sharpshooter. As such, the green faction is barely worth mentioning.
With ST out of the picture, we could see the return of NR and MO decks, namely Inspired Zeal, Blood Scent and Carapace. SK still has some greedier options like Rage of the Sea and NG players have a compelling reason to play Tactical Decision after the buffs to Roach and Knickers - be it Hyperthin or Cloggers.
We will update the report regularly in order to provide the community with a spot-on representation of the current meta. You can join our Discord if you have any questions.
Editing: Wusubi, ShadowplayRed, Sebodunum
Writers: Andasama, Avades, EuronCrowsEye, Gravesh, Lorakko, Oliveira, Pajabol, Qnerr, SpyroZA, Zubedoo
Consultants: Bantonio, Cyberz, McP0yle, SpecimenGwent
While King of Beggars has become more costly to fit into SY decks, he still packs a punch and gives more value to Tribute cards. The Midrange take on Jackpot now includes more control tools in Philippa Eilhart and Moreelse, as the meta got a bit greedier. You always have the option of switching out Moreelse and Eavesdrop (or Philippa and Shakedown) for Ludovicus Brunenbaum and Saul de Navarette, sacrificing one of the removal cards for more proactive options. Salamandra Mage also found its way into the deck, making it easier to proc King of Beggars’ ability with Savolla. -Zubedoo
- Efficient control tools, favored against the majority of matchups in the current meta
- The deck has the most broken combo in the game with Savolla and King of Beggars providing a ridiculous amount of points
- While the deck got better on Blue coin, it can still struggle with a suboptimal hand
- Since you rely on playing Savolla, missing him will reduce your odds to win severely
- Ludovicus, Saul de Navarette
With the nerf to Milva: Sharpshooter, our favorite Ban Ard and Aretuza Students can often survive until the end of the semester. While Raffard’s Vengeance now costs 10 provisions and thus can’t be tutored by Amphibious Assault, the recent buff to Istredd is somewhat of a compensation, as he allows you to cycle through the deck. Other than that, the deck includes some removal options in Margarita and Boiling Oil. You can experiment with Cintrian Spellweaver to increase your engine-overload potential, or Royal Decree to improve the overall consistency. -Andasama
- Alumni and Seltkirk of Gulet are very efficient control tools against greedy opponents
- Palpatine-style unlimited power in the carry-over from students will often allow you to dominate a long Round 3
- While control-heavy decks aren’t as popular as they used to be, they’re still out there and can mess up your game plan
- Cards that interact with your graveyard can disrupt the carry-over synergy, so beware the likes of Xavier and Experimental Remedy
- Prince Anséis, Donimir of Troy
Get your plungers ready, it’s clog time! After the buffs to Rience, Knickers and Roach along with the downfall of Guerilla Tactics, the deck can hold its own. The power of Tactical Decision and Snowdrop allows you to win Round 1 and get more time to clog your opponent during a Round 2 bleed. Unlike the past variations, we’re playing Rience instead of Renew and Letho: Kingslayer. With this version, pushing for a 2-0 with Ffion and Kolgrim will leave Rience unprotected, but with a much higher value ceiling. Having said that, you’ll do best clogging in the first two rounds while saving all of your finishers for a shorter Round 3. -Avades
- Can be very abusive against decks that lack direct answers or simply don’t draw them
- Tactical Decision can help you secure Round 1, or more ideally, apply a lot of pressure while bleeding the opponent in Round 2
- If your opponent answers the Defender and Kolgrim, the deck completely falls apart
- High consistency opponents with awkward clog targets such as the Discard package within SK or Jan Calveit in Assimilate can mess up your game plan
- Renew, Letho: Kingslayer